Ultra World Cup
Performance, ease of use, durability, value.
The Ultra World Cup is made for HAGAN in partnership with ATK in Italy. HAGAN partnered with ATK, well respected for quality, craftsmanship and functionality, to bring what we feel are their best products to North America. The Ultra World Cup is identical to the ATK SL World Cup.
The Ultra World Cup raises the bar yet again!
The Ultra World Cup binding is our update to the extremely successful Ultra race binding -- the most popular race (and light touring) binding in America. 12 years of design and revision, and millions of vertical meters of field testing, took a binding that was almost perfect and made it more so with new "Rolling In System" U Springs.
The "Rolling In System" uses finely-machined rotating bushings for remarkably easier step in, much better durability and greatly improved release consistency.
Let's dive a bit deeper into those improvements:
- Easy Entry – The rotating bushings dramatically ease step in. In extensive testing I never needed to stomp down more than once, even in deep powder. In fact, usually I don't need to stomp at all. Just a slight push, sometimes just body weight, and I snap in. This will especially be appreciated by lighter female and junior racers/tourers.
- Improved Durability – The steel bushings are much harder than titanium, and much more resistant to wear. They vastly improve longevity. Normal titanium U Springs wear quickly, sometimes needing to be replaced in less than a year of heavy use. After significant use, I see NO wear on the new Rolling In System U Springs.
- Release Consistency – Plain titanium U Springs quickly develop notches through use. These notches eventually grow to the point that the springs need to be replaced. Well before that, however, they begin to affect consistency and reliability of release.
- Cost – Finally, let's talk cost. The Rolling In System U Springs are much harder to manufacturer. The CNC milling is precise. Sold separately, the Rolling In System U Springs cost much more than our standard U Springs. (Yet I highly recommend them as an upgrade when replacing worn U Springs on your older bindings.) Despite the much higher cost of the Rolling In System springs, we didn't raise the price on the Ultra World Cup bindings. In fact, they are cheaper than the previous Ultra bindings. Much better performance. Much better value.
The HAGAN Ultra World Cup binding is the same 110 grams as the previous version. Monolink Technology® – the Ultra toe springs are only on one side – reduces weight and complexity and increases reliability.The toe Easy Entry System uses a polymer wheel bearing to ease step in.
An improved locking lever, with added grip surface, eases locking. Most of the time you needn’t bother with that, though. The toe lever automatically snaps into a "semi-locked" position upon step in — the semi-locked position is strong enough to avoid release in less technical climbs. This auto feature saves a few valuable seconds in transition. The toe can be manually fully locked when desired.
HAGAN’s prime values are durability, performance, ease of use and value. The Ultra World Cup improves on all of them! Mount the Ultra binding on the Ultra 65 ski and you have the most dependable, highest performing ski/binding race system on the planet.
Black Diamond is now distributing the ATK SL World Cup in the U.S. You can support a big company or shop small and receive a lower price, faster response and better service. We will match any legit price.
Note: All reviews before April 2020, and many after, are for the previous Ultra version without the Rolling In System springs.
- Weight: 110 grams
- Made of ultra-light aluminum with titanium U-springs.
- Automatic Semi-Lock System.
- MONOLINK TECHNOLOGY 1.0: Only one of the toe arms has springs. This provides higher clamping stiffness in addition to lower weight.
- “Easy entry system” for even better boot step-in performance with extremely reactive and powerful closure and a new front lever that provides more comfortable locking and unlocking, with a "dimple" for the pole tip for using your ski pole to release the toe piece.
- Polymer wheel bearing for easy toe locking and unlocking.
- RACE SETTING: Release values are fixed at approximately a DIN value of 8 for lateral release and 9 for vertical release. The retention strengths were refined over the years by our team athletes as the best balance between safety and stability.
- Crampon attachment slots. Integrated crampon hooks sold separately.
- Adjustable Heel Pin Cover System - easily adjust the rotation of the heel cover to your desired resistance.
- Ski leashes, ski brakes and replacement parts readily available.
- Sold in sets of two, including screws.
The Ultra is a ski mountaineering race binding with an ultra light weight of only 110 grams. It features easy locking and unlocking of the toe piece via a polymer wheel bearing.
A hardened titanium alloy on the rear fork pins reduces wear and step in force. The Ultra includes slots for easy mounting and removal of crampon hooks. The optional crampon hooks pictured are sold separately. Lightweight aluminum crampons are available in four widths. 30mm and 60mm adjustment plates are also available. For inbound use, a lightweight universal ski brake (easily removable and reinstall-able) is also available.
"Flat mode" can be enabled by mounting the heel piece 5 to 5.5 millimeters behind the boot heel instead of the standard 4 millimeters. The rotary release uses a ball and spring mechanism. When mounted, the ball and spring are retained by the ski surface when rotated. Rotated unmounted, the ball and spring will go flying out and a long search may ensue.
Check and adjust the tightness of the Heel Pin Cover System periodically! Heel Pin Cover Plate rotation needs to be sufficiently tight so that the plate stays in place, either fully closed (uphill mode) or fully open (downhill mode). Adjust the tightness of the cover plate with a #10 Torx wrench. If the plate is too loose, it can rotate into a upright position, and subsequently break when a boot steps down on it.
Heel pin cover plate breakage is not covered under warranty, but we provide replacement cover plates at low cost.
- Videos showing how to replace Hagan Ultra and ATK World Cup U springs:
FREE SHIPPING $69+ - EXCLUDES OVERSIZED ITEMS
Gear.com offers free ground shipping anywhere in the continental US for any order of $69 or more. Gear.com orders under $69 ship anywhere within the continental US for a flat rate of $9.95. Excludes oversized items - Oversized shipping rates apply automatically at checkout.
Shipment tracking typically takes 2 - 7 business days to update. We will notify you as soon as your tracking number becomes available. Please be sure to check your promotions, spam or junk mail folders for these updates. Once your order hits the road, standard shipping takes approximately 3 - 7 business days for delivery. During the Holidays the estimated shipping window is extended to approximately 5 - 10 business days.
Gear.com orders can be shipped from multiple warehouses across the United States and can be shipped using FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. Some brands have shipping restrictions and cannot ship to USPS PO BOX or Freight Forwarding addresses and will be noted on the product page description.
International and Expedited Shipping:
Unfortunately we're unable to promise or guarantee delivery by a specific date and don't offer overnight or express shipping at this time. We also do not currently ship to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/FPO addresses, US territories, or international addresses. Please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
*For Freight-Forwarding Orders please reach out to email@example.com BEFORE placing your order. Restrictions apply.
RETURNS & EXCHANGES
We understand that not every purchase works out. Need to make a return? Grab your order number and visit our Returns Portal here.
All Returns are subject to a $5.95 return processing fee. Exchanges are free.
New, unused gear in original packaging and attached hangtags can be returned within 30 days of purchase for an exchange, refund or store credit.
The returned items are subject to a quality review, which may delay refunds. We reserve the right to deny/refuse any return requests.
Some items cannot be returned using our returns portal, including the following:
- Hazardous materials
- Food items
- Oversize items
- Some Corporate & Group Sales items
Mail-in return exceptions may apply to coolers, tents, kayaks, surfboards, SUP boards, cargo boxes, car racks, indoor cycles, power stations, and more.
ALL SALES FINAL
Items that are marked as "All Sales Final" are not eligible for return.
E-Bikes and E-Scooters are "Final Sale" and are not eligible for return.
These items typically have a warranty service provided by the manufacturer.
If a Return Label is altered in any way, this action disqualifies the order from being eligible for return and will not receive a refund. See examples of this below:
- The Return Label is placed on an empty package
- The Return Label "ship from" address is changed from the original address of delivery
- The Return Label's approved weight is changed from the original package weight.
Return Fraud offenders will be blocked from placing future orders.
Must be fully disassembled.
Must be returned in the original box.
We reserve the right to refuse returns that are not fully disassembled and in the original packaging.
We’ll email you once we’ve issued a store credit or a refund – typically within 10-15 business days after we receive your package. Store credit issued for returned products will expire one year from the date of issuance. After Gear.com issues a refund, it may take up to 3 additional weeks for your bank to refund your payment. Thank you for your patience as we process returns as quickly as possible. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all return questions.
How to return by mail
Follow these three steps to submit your return:
Visit our Returns Portal - returns.gear.com
To make shipping a return even easier, our returns portal allows you to submit a return request. After we review your request and have authorization from the return warehouse, you will receive a prepaid return shipping label via email.
- Pictures may be required to confirm the condition of your return.
- Prepaid labels expire 15 days from the date we issue them.
- Oversized items are subject to an oversized return fee.
Pack your return
Pack your item(s) securely and include the original product packaging and tags.
Prepare & ship your package
Tape your package securely and affix your return shipping label to the outside. (Hint: If you cover or remove all existing shipping labels, you can usually reuse the bag or box your order came in.) Drop off your package at a carrier location near you.
- If we have questions about your return, we will contact you by email.
- Returned merchandise that does not meet the conditions above, we reserve the right to deny/refuse the return.
- All items marked as "final sale" are not eligible for returns or exchanges.